[TheTVDB] Issues with missing episodes, images, adding shows

[Updated 2019-11-27] Issues affecting SeriesGuide (reported by you or that I have):

• [Resolved 2019-11-15] Only up to 100 episodes of a show are returned.
    See the linked post on how to restore watched episodes.

• [Partially resolved 2019-11-21] Some shows can not be added because they do not exist (which is incorrect).
    It can help to clear the cache for SeriesGuide (Settings > Apps > SeriesGuide > Storage).

• [Resolved 2019-11-27] No show poster or poster in wrong language shown.
    At least for me and in my tests the highest rated poster in the correct language is now returned for all shows.

• [Resolved] Some shows have duplicate seasons (e.g. Money Heist). You may have to remove and add the show.

TheTVDB.com also has an overview of known issues and their status.

Original post:
There continue to be issues with the TheTVDB.com API.

According to their forums API issues are being worked on, which includes images in wrong language/no images at all getting returned.

4 Likes

I’m sorry if it’s a dumb question (I’m not a developer so I don’t know much), but maybe it makes sense to change TVDB as the main source of TV info? They are so often offline or have problems with API and so slow with fixing it. TMDb (the movie database), that is already used for movie info, also has TV Shows and looks like much more reliable alternative.

Thank you for the update with TVDB. It’s appreciated. Hopefully it’s fixed soon

2 Likes

Would you be able to point out which specific issues on their list are impacting SeriesGuide? It would be helpful in tracking their resolution so we know when SeriesGuide will be usable again.

1 Like

Pretty much anything that affects API v2 might affect SeriesGuide.

The last thing I noticed was posters in the wrong language, but that appears to have been fixed. There is still a poster or episode image missing here and there, but that should resolve itself over the next few days.

2 Likes

I found a small workaround for now. If there’s a show that isn’t being updated or ia missing episodes, i remove it and re-add it. It brings back all the episodes and saves my progress too.

I wanted to let you know the shows I’m still having problems with (meaning problems with images/missing episodes) are:
BOB’S BURGERS
MR PICKLES
PIT BULLS & PAROLEES
REAL TIME WITH BILL MAHER
SOUTH PARK

I wanted to let you know with some shows. Although TVDB is syncing in the Series Guide app on my tablet it’s not syncing on the app on my Android phone.
I’m still having problems with (meaning problems with images/missing episodes) are:
BOB’S BURGERS
MR PICKLES
PIT BULLS & PAROLEES
REAL TIME WITH BILL MAHER
SOUTH PARK

I guess different users have issues with different TV shows. I can see South Park. The daily show with Trevor Noah, his dark materials, Penny dreadful, boardwalk empire are some of the shows that don’t exist in my case on the TVDB. It’s been quite a few days now and should’ve been fixed by now. I don’t know what they’re doing over at tvdb.

1 Like

So after hoping that TVDB would fix the problems we’re all having (although everything works fine in the app on my tablet, but not my Android phone) I went ahead + unistalled/reinstalled the Series Guide app on my phone. I only did that tonight (Saturday) but so far so good. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Does synchronization work after reinstallation?

Well I just tried it today + it worked

It’s not working for me :confused:

1 Like

Well the first time I tried syncing my trakt.tv account didn’t sync so I had to sign out of account/sign back in. Once I did that everything synced 100%. Maybe that’ll work

1 Like

I’ve been noticing several series out of date on SeriesGuide.

I sync with trakt, and the series are up-to-date there, but I guess SeriesGuide syncs show data directly with TVDB.

So, right now, I’m having to use the Trakt website directly, instead of using SeriesGuide at all.

I also tried disconnecting my trakt account and reconnecting, but that didn’t help. And I tried syncing manually. That also didn’t help.

Uninstalling the app, clearing the data & cache and manually deleting any residual files related to the SeriesGuide app and then reinstalling the app did the trick for me. I can see all shows, posters, missing episodes. Everything synced perfectly. Doesn’t hurt to give it a try.

Based on my tests the issue with posters in the wrong language or not the highest rated poster getting returned is fixed as well. Updated the first post in that regard.